The Council was established as Hawley Parish Council in 1894 as a result of a local Government Act passed during that year. In a meeting held in 1895 the Council considered the introduction of a sewerage scheme for Blackwater. The decision noted was ‘we are not ripe for a sewerage scheme, there not being a sufficiently good supply of water’.
Prior to 1991 Hawley Parish Council had fourteen Councillors, but this was reduced to seven following a boundary change when a substantial element including Pinewood Park was transferred under the control of Rushmoor Borough Council.
On 1st March 1995, Hawley Parish Council changed to Blackwater and Hawley Town Council.
After a further parish boundary review the number of parish councillors was increased to eight at the May 2011 local elections.